Saturday, April 16, 2011

My Cisco Lab

This past Saturday, April 9th, I received my first complete Cisco lab via FedEx.

After negotiating with a very reputable seller, I ended up with a terrific beginner's lab for a terrific price!

My lab consists of:

    Routers
  • (1) Cisco 2610 Router with a WIC-1DSU-T1 and a WIC-1B-U
  • (1) Cisco 2620 Router with a WIC-2T
  • (2) Cisco 2620 Routers each with a WIC-1T

  • Switches
  • (2) Cisco Catalyst 2950 Switches (24 FastEthernet ports)

  • Cables
  • (2) Back-to-Back Smart-Serial cables (SS end is DCE)
  • (1) Back-to-Back DB60 serial cable
  • (4) Straight-Through RJ45 cables
  • (3) DB9 Console cables
  • (6) Power cables

  • Accessories
  • (4) 2600 Rackmounts
  • (2) 2900 Rackmounts

The Cisco 2610 Router was actually purchased from a different merchant. It has two WICs (Wan Interface Cards). The first is a T1 CSU/DSU card. The second is an ISDN BRI card. I don't have a use for either of these cards at the moment, but maybe one day I will.

The WIC-2T is a two port Smart-Serial card.
The WIC-1T is a one port DB60 serial card.

The lab is not mounted on a rack because I do not own a rack. With only six devices, it is not cost - and space - efficient to purchase a rack large enough to hold my devices with room for expansion.

This lab has been with me for a week, and it has helped me understand many networking concepts. If you do not own or have access to a real Cisco lab, spend the money and buy a lab.
You will be happy you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment